Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Moonflower"
The first time I gave her flowers she said “Please,
If your gonna buy me something you could at least make it yours.”
So I brought her sunflowers
I told her I grew them by my bedside and tended to them like I would her
Bathed them in the mornings golden waves
And made sure they were safe when the darkness came
I became a crutch for them to lean on when their heads became too heavy
and when they needed affection I was peerless and proud
I kept up with their roots, made sure they were never alone
But I couldn’t keep them shut in so when I wasn’t looking I let them wander
I never questioned their lust for something different
Its different when you’ve worked for what has been constructed
Breaking stalks to broken stems to cracks in this foundation
I built more than a life around those clay walls and hid an ideal in the soil where they stood

No comments: