Saturday, November 15, 2008

Poetic parts and broken hearts

So I went to the Herkimer CC poetry slam thursday. It was the best nights of poetry I have ever heard. Some very real poets and very beautiful pieces. It was nice to feel like I belonged somewhere. I heard the rawest poem ever that night by this poet Zev, or Zeb, or Zeph, i dont exactly know. It was about his brother, and I literally have no words to describe it.

After the show, we went to bar got trashed, and then spit some more poetry in our drunken states. I was called out for my Everest peace and had to preform that hammered, not easy.

Here is the peace I preformed at the slam itself. enjoy.

She emerged from the quicksand
a mermaid in reverse
dusting the sand from her skin
i noticed Her body had been tethered at thigh and foot
A ball of loathing and a chain of regret
drag steadily behind her
She has chosen to be helpless below the waist
But like Dorothy with 3 click click clicks
she could be free
Because her hands are free
to push to deflect and to shield
and maybe to saw her self free
But instead she keeps them frozen in this constant state of acceptance
Allowing you, me, and everyone we know to take a turn
And show her our worst
a perfectionist at remaining vulnerable
And she has chosen to be weak
To stay weak
To never hit that gym of self-esteem
And to never allow herself the endurance to lift the weights that hold her down around her neck
But I am begging you

Please
Do not waste your pity on her

She is not a muse sprung up from water
but a temptress with a tattoo for every heart that she has stolen
Something permanent
Like the red stains on the sheets
or her lipstick on my cheek

Permanence is evidence so
Protect yourself
Assume her position with arms up
But not open
I’ll be a Jedi if you be Knight
and together we can be that
bright lights flickering at the end of the tunnel

A hypocondri-addict butterfly
convinced her wings were broken
I carried her up the stairs begging for her acceptance
And she was presented

Denied my father said
Denied
He held a lantern to her eyes, and like a lighthouse
he illuminated the darkness
he illuminated the darkness allowing me to crawl into her retina
Repelling down her brain stem
I burrowed into her heart and set the charges for detonation
So that all who before me would know that I
remained unconquered
Upon my ascent I etched my initials onto that cardiac muscle
I carved deep and hard, to ensure of all those after me would know that I
Remained Pure

But I swear to you
She was my favorite CD stuck skipping
she tr tr tr tricked my mind mind mind into thinking I could save save save her
And believe me I tried
But these wings on my back are made from ink not feathers
No matter how hard you try they will not spread
so stop clawing at them in attempts to free them from my skin
I am not a godsend an angel or a lighthouse
and if you really want to see god
get out of my bed and out of my mind
I promise to drive you home
if you let me whisper you a secret
you have to save yourself

No comments: